Trade Sends Verduzco to District Grounds Crew

Beck Chambers, Staff Writer

After a 10-year tenure as gardener for the Campolindo campus, Oscar Verduzco has transferred to the Acalanes Union High School District (AUHSD) general grounds crew. The district crew works on projects at all 5 of the campuses in the AUHSD in support of each site’s gardener, according to custodian Ben Wadsworth.

Scottie Cofer will take over the campus gardening responsibilities that Verduzco leaves behind.  Cofer has worked for the district since 1986 as part of the grounds crew. He has previously gardened at Acalanes and Los Lomas. Each stint lasted 10 years.

Cofer said, “Verduzco wanted to go to the transfer yard and was tired of working here for 10 years.”

According to Wadsworth, the new position will offer Verduzco the opportunity to work with a team rather than be isolated at one site.  While teachers and other staff often collaborate with peers and interact frequently with students, the life of a campus gardener is relatively independent.

Verduzco and Cofer both got what they wanted with the switch, said Wadsworth. Like teachers, custodial and grounds staff may apply for transfers within the district.

Wadsworth looks forward to working with Cofer at Campolindo. “[Cofer] is a good worker by himself and he gets stuff done. He just gets his job done,” he said.

Nevertheless, Verduzco, who for many was the 1st person they saw when they arrived each morning on campus, will be missed. “Verduzco’s  best quality was that he did what he was told to do and also went above and beyond fixing drainage problems and was good all around,” said campus supervisor Sue Frederich.

Wadsworth said, “[Verduzco] was fun to talk with. He ate lunch with us.”

Frederich thinks that Cofer will be a good addition to the Campolindo community. “[Cofer] is happy. He smiles at everybody,” she said.