Leadership Coat Drive Continues

Katy Ly, Editor in Chief

As part of its collaboration with Marina Bay’s Salute restaurant, leadership will continue to accept donation of coats, mittens, gloves, scarves, and new toiletries in bins in front of the attendance office through November 10.

Saluteowned by Menby Aklilu, also distributes free meals to those in need on Thanksgiving.

According to Salute’s website, the restaurant hosts a Thankgiving Day Celebration annually for “needy families and those less fortunate living in Contra Costa County,” as well as 700 US veteran families from Contra Costa and Marin County. In addition, Salute will offer free flu shots and coupons on Thanksgiving.

“A parent in our community actually reached out to us and asked if we wanted to participate [in Salute’s drive,] and any time we can be part of a philanthropic activity, we always do,” said leadership advisor Dino Petrocco.

According to Petrocco, last year was Campolindo’s first coat drive. “Last year we collected 25-30 coats. It was a pretty good turnout. We just did coats, [so] this year we’re expanding into toiletries and things like that,” he said.

“It was something that ended up being somewhat successful, so we wanted to do it again,” said sophomore class president Katie Clare. “There’s not really a goal [this year,] just to get donations.” Petrocco added that the class is “just trying to get as much participation as possible.”

Junior leadership student Rachel Brickman said the goal is to promote “being grateful around this time of year.” Her classmate, junior Leah Bahramipour, said it is intended to “promote giving back on campus.”

The drive has “been having good collection” for the most part, according to Bahramipour. “But we’d like a lot more,” she added. “Bring in mittens, scarves, gloves, and toiletries!” 

Petrocco said that he thinks Leadership will make the drive an annual event. “It’s going to be a good Campo tradition,” he said.