Scout Builds Outdoor Court

Madeleine Singh, Staff Writer

For his Eagle Scout Service Project, junior Chris Wright and a committee of parents, students and school administrators have worked to build an outdoor basketball court at Campolindo.

Creating and completing an Eagle Scout project is necessary for a Boy Scout to obtain the Eagle Scout rank. The project must demonstrate leadership to others while benefiting the community.

Assisted by friend junior Lev Garcia and workers from Berkeley Cement, Wright laid down and smoothed out a slab of about 50 yards of concrete on May 14. “It was a lot of hard work,” said Wright. “We got there at about 7am. I ended up staying there until about 9 at night to make sure it was dry enough so no one would draw on it.”

The process of building the court actually began a year prior, as Wright developed plans and coordinated with the school district, overcoming obstacles, including working around a fire hydrant that resides adjacent to the area designated for the court

“Just to give a perspective, the project has taken over 700 hours to complete,” said Wright. “The most challenging part of the project was the fundraising. Raising roughly $31,000 is extremely difficult; I had to reach out to corporate donors such as Bay Alarm and Republic Services. In addition, some extremely generous individuals have made my project possible – they want their names to remain anonymous.” Wright also raised money by giving people the opportunity to buy a brick engraved with their name which would be included along the edge of the court.

“I have gained and refined my ability to lead others through my project and hope to set an example for other Eagle Scout candidates who hope to make a difference in their community. I plan on applying for the National Eagle Scout project award,” added Wright. “I hope that kids at Campolindo and in the community can visualize their dreams and make them happen. Too many people in our community lack initiative and the confidence to get the job done. I hope my project will show the hundreds of kids that will play on it that dreams and work ethic go hand in hand.”

The court will be ready to use on Friday, May 27, but it will be repainted and have the donor bricks installed over the summer. “Campolindo is very excited about the outdoor basketball project and how it will improve the campus,” said principal John Walker.