Final Concert Honors Seniors

Genie Lee, Staff Writer

Concert band, symphonic band, jazz band, big band, and orchestra wrapped up the 2016 year with a final performance, conducted by music teacher Johnny Johnson on May 13 in the CPAC.

Senior gifts and the “Big Three” senior awards were presented to graduating musicians as part of the spring event.

The band award, also known as the John Philip Sousa award, went to Nikhil Suri. The orchestra award went to Maya Bulos. The jazz award, or the Louis Armstrong award, went to Eli Kirmayer.

Members of each ensemble voted for the musician they believed to be “the most dedication towards the ensemble and has gone out of their way to really help people and are just good musicians as well,” said Bulos.

“Not to sound egotistical or anything, but I was kind of expecting it,” explained Bulos. “I mean, a lot of the people in orchestra look up to me as a musician, and as a concert master, I just help out a lot with musical stuff.”

Seniors were also presented pens and pen cases engraved with their names and “Campolindo.”

A wide variety of music was performed at the concert. The concert band played tango music to concert overtures while the symphonic band performed marches, a choral piece written for band instruments, and a horn concerto. Orchestra played a violin concerto as well as a song specifically written for Campolindo called “Panic.”

“The concert went really well,” said bass clarinet and soprano clarinet player Kyle Lindquist. “All of the pieces were pretty decent and Mr. Johnson seemed pretty happy of how it went.”

“It was very successful. I think we did a great job and it was interesting hearing all of the other groups like jazz and orchestra,” said sophomore flutist Fiona Quimby.