Broken Lock Traps Sophomore

Kelly Pien, Editor-in-Chief

Sophomore Dominic Chilimidos was trapped in the boys’ team room for 2 hours on the morning of January 14 due to a broken lock.

Chilimidos entered the team room, located in the boys’ locker room, at approximately 7:00am to retrieve his belongings. Chilimidos was able to open the door from the outside, but when he shut the door behind him, the lock jammed, trapping him inside.

According to principal John Walker, the boys’ basketball team had discovered the lock was broken the previous evening. How the lock was broken was not determined, though vandalism is a possibility.

According to Walker, that evening “a custodian was called, and he called his supervisor, and they determined that since the lock was broken and had to be replaced anyway, and since the students needed to get in and get computers and car keys and the coach had all his stuff in there, that they should actually break the lock on the door to detach it.”

After the boys’ basketball team retrieved their belongings, they left the door to the team room slightly ajar.

That is how Chilimidos found it the following morning.  He entered the room and the door shut behind him.

While on his regular morning rounds, custodian Ban Wadsworth heard Chilimidos knocking from inside the team room. Unable to pry open the door, the administration called the fire department, who arrived on the scene, detached the door and freed Chilimidos.

Thinking the broken lock might have been due to a break-in or vandalism, the police were notified.  It was later determined that the broken lock was most likely not the result of vandalism or a break-in.

The lock has since been fixed.

Chilimidos said the incident was “not really a big deal.”