Helicopters Hover, Cause Distraction

Andie Cohen, Staff Writer

PG&E has been repairing power lines on the hill above Campolindo’s athletic field since October 9, and predicts they will be done sometime before December. To transport equipment, and workers, from tower to tower with greater ease, PG&E is using several helicopters.

According to a PG&E press release, “The utility is using helicopters to modify the existing towers and to pull the new wire across the top of the towers. PG&E uses helicopters for select projects to complete the work in a safe and efficient manner. Using helicopters reduces the need for heavy trucks and equipment on the ground, lessening the project’s environmental impacts in the area.”

The noise from the constantly hovering helicopters has not gone unnoticed.

“I can hear it from my office; I’ve just sort of tuned it out,” said vice principal Erin Pope.

Science teacher Roxanna Jackman, who works in one of the classrooms sitting closest to the hill, explained, “They are very noticeable.” That said, Jackman believes the noise does not affect her ability to teach the class.

Freshman Lillian Montes said, “It is really distracting when you’re trying to complete an assignment, when there’s noise in the backround and that kind of draws attention away from your work.”

PG&E worked with the district to gain approval to use the helicopters during the school day.

The PG&E project report also stated, “The project will help improve service reliability and ensure the East Bay has the power it needs as demand for electricity in the area grows.”