Gagan Wins Class of 2019 Presidency

Andie Cohen, Staff Writer

Matt Gagan won the race for Class President, the only contested position of the freshman class leadership election, during 4th period on Wednesday, September 9. Gagan prevailed over opponent Alex Corallo.

Vice president Siena Thomas, treasurer Ava Charlesworth, and secretary Hillary Weaver were guaranteed their positions just by signing up as none were opposed.

Gagan was eager to lead his class. “I feel I am suited for this position, because I like doing stuff like this and I want to be a leader and to show my initiative,” he explained.

Gagan’s treasurer was also pleased with the opportunity to contribute to the decision making for freshmen. “I am excited to represent the Freshman Class of 2019,” said Charlesworth.

Thomas, who will be 2nd in command for the freshmen, said, “I want to be in leadership because it seems like a lot of fun and I’m really interested in helping our class have, like, a good year.”

Junior Cathy Tang, freshman class president of 2013-2014, is now a student district board member. “I just sort of developed the ability to represent a large group of people, and with that came the incentive to consider a broader spectrum of views,” she explained about moving on to her new position.

Freshman Leadership will primarily work on fundraising throughout the year, as each class must raise money to cover their extracurricular events like prom and ball.