Capdevielle Drowns off Asilomar Beach

Colin Jones, Staff Writer

Bryan Capdevielle, who recently attended Campolindo, drowned in ocean waters off Asilomar Beach in Pacific Grove on October 25. He was 18 years old.

Central Coast News KION/KCBA reported that Capdevielle went swimming with his younger brother. It reported that while local surfers had been able to help the younger brother to shore, when they returned for Bryan, he had already gone under.

According to his obituary, Capdevielle was born on March 13, 1996 to Cliff Capdevielle and Robin Capdevielle Hoydal. He lived in Orinda and attended Campolindo for his sophomore and junior years, but graduated from the Acalanes Center for Independent Study. In his free time, Bryan enjoyed painting, gardening, and skateboarding at the Moraga skatepark.

“He liked to skate,” said friend Justin Lascano. “He didn’t do it very often, but he’d come by the skate park and hang out.” Lascano said that the skate park was where he had originally met Bryan.

Close friend Brad Robinow said that Bryan’s primary interest was “just living life.”

“He was one of the good ones,” Robinow said. “He didn’t care where you were from, what you were like. He’d be your friend no matter what.”

Many people sent their condolences to the Capdevielle family on an obituary website called Legacy. “I will miss Bryan’s gentle spirit and his beautiful and welcoming smile,” wrote teacher Karen Chandler. “You were a pleasure in my English class at CIS.”

“He was a very outgoing person,” said Lascano. “He wouldn’t want anybody to be sad about [his passing]. Whenever I talk about him, I try to keep smiling. That’s what he would want.”