The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Women Dominating the 2024 Grammys: Students Share Their Thoughts

On February 4 2024, the 66th annual Grammy Awards took place at Crypto Arena, spurring many opinions amongst Campo students surrounding the nominees, performances, and winners. The Awards were mainly female-dominated and in response, students shared their thoughts and opinions.

This year’s Grammys stood out for several reasons, but particularly due to a considerable number of women both being nominated for and winning awards. A Forbes article stated, “Women nearly completely dominate the list of nominees for the 2024 Grammys, occupying almost all the spots in some of the top categories. In fact, in three of the four top fields, only one man manages to find space alongside some of the most celebrated and successful women in the music industry.”

Sophomore Kaelyn Abeyta shared her thoughts about the Grammys: “I thought that it was very inspiring that women were nominated and won because it shows how far women have come in music.” Abeyta shared her opinions on how many female artists won and how she thought that watching the Grammys this year was a “different experience” than when watching the Grammy Awards in past years.

“I thought it was very empowering that a lot of women won. I thought it was super cool that Miley Cyrus won her first Grammy and she was super excited about it. I liked her performance and Billie Eilish’s performance because I loved the Barbie movie. I just thought it was really cool overall,” said sophomore Alexa Weyland.

Abeyta shared her thoughts about who won and who she believed should have won. Abeyta said, “I think that SZA should have won more because she is such a great artist. I think other people should have been nominated for the best new artist, and Noah Kahan should have won because his music has had a big impact on people this last year.” Noah Kahan not winning a Grammy seemed to upset many people because of the popularity of his music.

“I am so glad that a lot of women won this year, however Noah Kahan definitely should have won because his music is amazing. I would say that the performances at the Grammys were slightly underwhelming, but still good.” Said sophomore Cassidy McClain. McClain and Abeyta seemed to have the same opinion about Noah Kahan’s music and how he should have won. McClain wanted to see more from the performances, but still enjoyed them.

The students’ opinions on the Grammys are very similar whether it be on women artists winning, performances, or certain artists not winning. This year’s Grammys seemed to touch many people and be an inspiring start to 2024.