Love and Sweet Treats: Celebrating Valentine’s Day

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…to celebrate love and eat pink and red heart-shaped candy. Valentine’s Day is celebrated in many ways: a date with a significant other, a movie night with friends, flowers for a loved one, or spending the day peacefully by oneself. This holiday has either highly anticipated or nonchalant opinions, however, it is still very much a day to celebrate.

Senior Shea Volkmer spoke about her Valentine’s Day plans: “I’m hanging out with friends and having a fun Galentines with lots of chocolate and rom-coms.” Since the holiday is dedicated to expressing love and appreciation towards loved ones or friends, Volkmer shared that her favorite part about Valentine’s Day is “spending time with her close friends and loved ones.” Volkmer also shared that the “chocolate and gifts,” and “the cute vibes” are another special aspect. When asked about any gift she would choose to receive, she responded with “a cute teddy bear with a box of chocolate”.

Valentine’s Day has many traditions, such as exchanging Valentine’s Day cards, sending flowers, chocolates and sweets, romantic dinners, gift giving, love notes, decorating with hearts and red, and watching fun movies. The holiday, celebrated annually on February 14th, is a day dedicated to expressing love and affection towards romantic partners, family members, and friends. The holiday has evolved over centuries, with roots in both Christian and ancient Roman traditions. Valentine’s Day has become associated with the celebration of love and romance in many cultures around the world.

Junior Amelia Ra said that she “doesn’t have any Valentine’s Day plans yet,” but some traditions she has with her friends is “exchanging valentine’s and gifts with each other.” While Valentine’s Day may not be her favorite holiday, Ra still enjoys the “Valentine’s Day Grams,” which she describes as “pretty fun.” Reflecting on if she were to receive any gift of her choosing, Ra noted that it “doesn’t need to be anything fancy,” suggesting that “a piece of jewelry” or even “a toy would be cute too.”

Senior Ruby Cutler plans on celebrating the 14th by “going out to dinner”. She noted that “every year, no matter what, even if [me] or [my] friends are dating someone, [we] always end up having a little Galentine’s.” Cutler shared that her favorite part about Valentine’s Day is “seeing all the decorations”, and an added benefit is “when all the candy and stuff is on sale at CVS.” When asked what gift she would love to receive, Cutler said “a cute stuffed animal.”

Valentine’s day is a day for love and appreciation, whether it’s through a Galentine’s, a dinner, or a bouquet and a box of chocolates. Expressing our affection towards our partners, family, and friends celebrates the importance of the day, and also is an opportunity to spread love, kindness, and appreciation for one another.