The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Under the Weather: Campus Faces an Onset of Respiratory Illnesses

Sniffles, coughs, and sneezes can be heard in almost every Campolindo classroom. A trifecta of respiratory illnesses have surged with approximately 7.1 million people currently ill with the flu.

Cases have varied in severity but the American Red Cross reported that around 73,000 hospitalizations have occurred in the first weeks of 2024 from COVID, the flu, and RSV. Large gatherings of family and friends for the holiday season as well as travel resulted in a spike in respiratory illnesses nationwide that have taken a toll on many Americans, including Campolindo students.

“I contracted COVID right after Christmas,” said junior Vivian Tolajian. As far as her symptoms go, she mentioned, “I had a slight fever and really bad congestion that didn’t go away even after I tested negative.” Tolajian said the two things that helped her feel better most were, “resting up and drinking a lot of water.”

“I had chills, which was probably the worst of it and then I had a really terrible headache,” recounted another Campolindo student, junior Amelia Ra. She said, “I had a flu type variant and I first got sick with it the week after New years.” To help herself feel better Ra said, “I made sure to have lots of fluids and took pain meds as well as allergy medicine to help congestion.”

To avoid feeling under the weather by catching one of these illnesses there are many simple steps you can take. Scott Heidersbach is a pediatric critical care doctor at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital East Bay and he has seen first hand the effects of this rise of respiratory related illnesses. Dr. Heidersbach recommended that students avoid contracting illness by simply “washing your hands as best you can.”

If you do find yourself exhibiting symptoms of a cold, Dr. Heidersbach advised that when feeling sick, “If you sneeze, sneeze in your elbow, it will help other people by not spreading anything.” Professionals at the Mayo Clinic recommend that those presenting respiratory symptoms should rest, take over the counter medicine, stay out of public spaces including school, and have a high fluid intake of juices, water, and tea.