The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Freshman Choir: Larger Class Size Requires Co-teaching

It’s no surprise that choir is one of the most popular elective classes here at Campolindo. With a celebrated musical every spring, fulfillment of Campo’s arts requirement, and tons of classroom bonding, choir is beloved for valid reasons.

However, our freshman class this year chose to take this love to a new height. With the girls’ “Treble Chorale” choir at 76 people, it is clear that the class of 2027 loves choir.

It seems like a tough situation to organize a productive learning environment with that many people in one room. The solution? Two teachers.

Veteran choir teacher Mark Roberts has been teaching at Campolindo for 12 years. He loves teaching at Campo because “there’s a great culture of investment and support for all of the arts.” Roberts co-teaches the freshman girls with Daniel Jones, who started his first year here at Campolindo.

So how do you co-teach a choir class? According to Roberts, “half of the students are assigned to Mr. Jones and half of the students are assigned to [him],” and he confirmed it is working well so far. This co-teaching provides the students more direct instruction.

Soprano 2 Abbie Adams talked about her experience in the Freshman Treble Chorale class. Abbie loves being in her choir class because she “enjoys the music and the teachers,” especially her designated teacher Roberts. According to Adams, the class hasn’t split into two groups yet, as they are “still working on the fundamentals.”

When asked about the crowdedness of the classroom, Adams explained, “It doesn’t feel very crowded [except] when we are putting away our folders and everyone is bumping into each other.” And Adams confirmed that the large class “doesn’t affect the learning environment.”

Soprano 2 Alana Bacher, a student in Roberts class, spoke about her experience in her freshman choir class. Bacher joined the choir because she “wanted to be in the musical and learn how to sing.” Bacher explained that in her experience, she feels that the choir class is “really really fun” so far. She agrees with Adams in thinking the class benefits from this personalized teaching by having two teachers in the classroom.

As said by Adams, “I think this is going to be a great year! Go Cougs!”