The Claw

CAMPOLINDO HIGH SCHOOL • 300 MORAGA ROAD • MORAGA • CA

The Claw

The Claw

Exploring The Bay Area’s Top Coffee Hotspots

Philz in Lafayette in the late afternoon.

Whether it’s breakfast before school, a study session with friends, or just a daily coffee run, it’s no secret that the Bay Area has many go-to cafes on the radar.

Many Campo students have their own opinions on the best coffee shops in the Bay Area, each judged by their calming atmosphere, pleasing interior, and delectable coffee and pastries. While every shop has their own vibe, a straw poll narrowed down the best coffee shops to: Philz, Starbucks, Peet’s, and Baker and Commons.

Philz, a popular chain originating in San Francisco, has gained votes for both its quality of coffee and relaxing atmosphere. Senior Shea Volkmer commented on her own preference, “I love its homey vibe.”

In addition to the welcoming and cheerful interior, Philz also offers pastries and an array of coffee and drink flavors. Volkmer commented that her favorite drink is the “Mint Mojito” or recently the “Honey Haze”, but made it clear that there is no wrong choice when it comes to the menu.

Baker and Commons, a cozy shop in Rockridge sandwiched between cute boutiques and bustling restaurants, was highly spoken upon by senior Daisy Penney, who commented that, “the colors and atmosphere was super welcoming and the service was great.”

In addition to the cozy atmosphere, Penney also spoke about the food, saying, “Their mocha is so good” but noted that it was “a little on the expensive side”. This coffee shop offers a homey vibe that draws positive attention to this bakery, putting it on the top list for a reason.

Starbucks, a worldwide attraction, was an obvious choice when it comes to top rated coffee shops. Ranging from iced Americanos to the seasonal pumpkin spice latte to the famed Pink Drink, Starbucks offers drinks for any time of the day.

Senior Makena Weberski, a daily Starbucks regular, gave her positive review, saying, “it’s really easy to go to; I just use the mobile app and pick it up so it’s super quick”. Her go-to order is a “venti mango dragon fruit with lemonade” or a “grande iced shaken espresso”, however she noted that the seasonal drinks and food options were convenient and quality as well.

Peet’s, a small but convenient shop is always bustling with customers, either sipping coffee with friends or just grabbing a quick caffeine boost to start the day.

When asked why Peet’s was so highly rated, senior Sydney Moen responded by saying, “It’s very convenient as well as it has a calming atmosphere inside”. Although Peet’s does not have as diverse of a menu as Starbucks, its coffee is still its main attraction. Moen usually gets an iced vanilla latte, which she commented was, “her favorite”.

The best coffee shops in the Bay Area each have their own perks to give them high ratings, and surely each is a go-to option when looking for a new local spot to try.