Service Earns Lee AAUW Scholarship

Service Earns Lee AAUW Scholarship

Arjun Chhabra, Staff Writer

The American Association of University Women (AAUW) has awarded senior Genie Lee a scholarship for her leadership and volunteer work.

“It was really cool to get the award. I know there were some very fantastic candidates here at Campo and the other high schools, as well,” said Lee.

The AAUW announced its scholarship winners, including those from the Acalanes School District and Saint Mary’s College, on April 14.

1 female student from each school was given the grant as part of the AAUW’s mission to promote equality for women and girls in education and the workforce. The foundation gives $3.9 million every year to support women and nonprofit organizations.

A rigorous application process and interview was used to determine the award winners. College counselor Joan Batchellor helped Lee navigate these steps. “When she came to me wanting to get involved with this program, I felt she was a great candidate. That said, I was so proud of Genie when I found out she earned the scholarship,” she said.

As part of the ceremony, Lee gave a speech to the AAUW thanking them for the scholarship. Since Lee believes she earned the award based on her philanthropic work around the Bay Area, she decided to discuss that in her speech. “I was really excited to share my story of doing community service in front of all of the women at the conference,” she said.

Senior Tara McAteer also applied for this scholarship. She said, “I was a little nervous because I was only notified about it on short notice. I felt afterward that I did not get it because I was doing something in Walnut Creek and they are Moraga based.”

The AAUW also supports middle schoolers with a program to select bright students for a week-long trip to Stanford. During the event, these students spoke about their experience.