“Scube” Champion Earns Instagram Following

Erika Riedel, Sports Editor

Some people take days solving a single Rubik’s cube; freshman Brian Thomas took 3.73 seconds to slot the 125 cubes of a “Scube” into place.

1st inspired by watching a fellow classmate solve a cube in the 6th grade, Thomas has since recorded 147 complete cube solutions competition.

He most recently attended a Berkeley summer competition in which he placed 3rd. Previously, Thomas had attended other prestigious events such as Cubing USA Nationals 2018 and Bay Area Speedcubin’.

“I won some money in ‘Scube’ in a competition last spring, which is a side event. It was really satisfying because the link in my Instagram bio people can see my stats and that

I have 1 medal,” said Thomas.

“Scube” is Thomas’ best event, a variation of the regular 3X3 Rubik’s cube which, according to him, is much more difficult to solve because it requires its own set of algorithms.

“I think it is really cool that he is so passionate about Rubik’s cube and it is something really unique about him,” said his sister, sophomore Erin Thomas. “He has also found other people at Campo who share his passion for cubing.”

Thomas teaches other stud

ents how to solve a cube during meetings of his Rubik’s Cube Club. “I’ve loved having the club especially because Mrs. Kuefner lets use her room during lunch, meaning that there is no commitment outside of school needed,” he said.

Students have responded positively towards Thomas’s cubing club by creating an Instagram fan page @briancubesfanpage. This anonymous account features uplifting messages and updates about Thomas’ cubing career.

“In 6th grade, I wanted to play with his Rubik’s cubes because I thought that they were really cool. But Brian was the 1 who was smart enough to figure it out because I had no idea how to do it,” said freshman Evi Storrs.

Thomas squeezes in practice tim

e in the morning or late at night.

“In all of my spare time, I am cubing. I do it as often as I can and it is getting better,” said Thomas.

Thomas has noticed a significant improvement in his math grade since he began cubing. “Cubing helps me envision things and how they would intersect and how they would rotate around each other,” he said.

“He has a really good memory because he remembers thousands of different algorithms to solve the cubes which definitely helps him with math at school,” added Erin Thomas.

According to Thomas, cubing has not only allowed him to meet a variety of new people but it has also introduced him to a sport that both “stimulates your hands and mind while challenging you to improve.”

For now, Thomas views cubing as more of a hobby than a possible career. “I don’t know [if Speedcubing is a possible career]. As much as I would love cubing to be a career, I don’t see a way to realistically make it happen,” he said.