New Theater Tech Elective Added for 2016-2017

Kelly Pien, Editor-in-Chief

To teach the ins and outs of working behind the scenes on a live theatrical production, a new class, Stagecraft, will be offered 2016-2017.

Open to incoming sophomores, juniors, and seniors, the class is slated to be taught by video production teacher Justin Seligman.

According to Seligman, Stagecraft students will learn to manage the light board and sound board, work in the catwalks, design lighting and sets, and construct sets. The students will likely learn about video documentation as well.

Stagecraft will count as a Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) class, which is an admission requirement for UCs and CSUs.

The performing arts teachers asked Seligman to teach the class in order to give students a new opportunity and to get more help running theater events. Seligman said, “I’m really excited to have the opportunity to teach Stagecraft for the first time at Campolindo. When I was stage manager of the CPAC, there just wasn’t enough time to get everything done, and students didn’t have the opportunity to learn both the technical and creative aspects of the theater. I can’t wait to bring my passion for behind-the-scenes stage production to the students!”

The other 3 comprehensive high schools in the Acalanes Union High School District offer the class. Las Lomas Drama and Theater Tech teacher Taron Hensley is helping Seligman plan the course.

In past years, the Theater Tech club has acted as the behind-the-scenes crew for many Campolindo stage productions. Seligman said that next year, “it’s unclear what’s going to happen to the club.”

Sophomore theater tech club member Amber Nathanson is considering joining the Stagecraft class next year. “I’m already taking Theater Tech now, so I decided why not take it next year and continue to develop skills,” Nathanson said. “I really like doing camera work, and I want to develop my skills in doing lights and maybe working for the play after school.”