Football Prevails over EBAL Power in Honor Bowl

Sarah Naughten, Sports Editor

The Cougars defeated the Amador Valley Dons 27-16 at James Logan High School on September 7 in the Honor Bowl, an annual national showcase put on each year by the Honor Group, an organization whose mission is to educate the public about American veterans’ needs. 

According to head football coach Kevin Macy, the event is intended to honor military personnel. Most states host a single Honor Bowl event, though California was split into a Northern and a Southern division.

At the Norther division event 6 teams participated.

According to Macy, being invited is a significant accomplishment. “They try to bring in names that people feel are recognizable programs that have some prestige to them,” said Macy.

Campolindo wore custom jerseys, sticker decals for their helmets, and commemorative t-shirts.

Senior linebacker Jack Daughtery considered the game “the first real test in [their] schedule.”

According to Macy, 2 of the Cougars’ top players, senior linebacker and tight end Charlie Craig and senior defensive end Mason Mastrov, didn’t play due to injuries.

The Cougars still looked strong in the 1st half, scoring 14 points in the 1st quarter and 10 in the 2nd. Senior fullback Will Windat scored 2 of the touchdowns; junior wide receiver Joey Schmidt scored the other. The Dons scored only 7 points in the 1st half.

Amador Valley went on to score 9 points in the 2nd half, while Campolindo’s offense cooled off.  Nevertheless, the Cougars held on for the win.

Amador Valley plays in the extremely competitive East Bay Athletic League, and has a school population nearly double that of Campolindo. Craig said, “We felt like even though we were depicted as the underdog, we felt that they were a beatable team and that they thought they were better than they actually were. It was pretty sweet to put them in their place.”

Daughtery and senior quarterback Grant Harper were awarded the Character 1st award and Most Valuable Player award, respectively. 

“I picked Jack Daughtery because he was sort of the captain on our defense and the defense was the biggest story of the day,” said Macy, who nominated his player for the recognition. “[Craig and Mastrov] are 2 emotional leaders on defense. So without having them, we thought it was going to be a long day for us, but Jack Daughtey really took charge of the defense. He is also a high character kid to begin with.”