Klock Wins NCS Diving Title

Amanda Young, Business Editor

6 members of the district’s joint CLAM (Campolindo, Las Lomas, Acalanes, Miramonte) diving team competed at the North Coast Section (NCS) Diving Championships at the Concord Community Pool on May 2. Junior Josiah Klock won the boys’ competition with a score of 457.45, and sophomore Daniel Zabronsky placed 7th. Junior Hailey Tang placed 16th in the girls’ meet.

3 CLAM Divers– Klock, Acalanes’ Jackie Samaniego, and Miramonte’s Deivi Moretti–- moved on to the State Championships on May 10.

The NCS meet was a “huge success,” according to head coach Will Haynes. “I’m super proud of all of them. Every single diver pushed hard, was focused, [and] had a great meet and well-executed dives.”

At the NCS meet, 32 qualifying divers attempted 5 dives in the 1st round.  The field was then reduced to 20 for the 2nd round, in which 3 additional dives were attempted. The final round consisted of 16 divers, including 3 from Campolindo.

“I thought it was a really great meet. There were a lot of great competitors there,” said Tang. “Everyone did really well, especially the boys.”

Klock agreed that the meet went “really well” because he hit all of his dives. Klock, who attended the State Championships last year and placed 24th, hopes to make it through again.

“I feel like my hard work has really paid off,” said Klock. “I’ve definitely improved a lot and this season has been a lot of fun.”