Spring Sport Season Starts February 5

Annette Ungermann, Opinion Editor

The following teams kick off the spring sports season with tryouts scheduled through the week of February 5.

BASEBALL

Tryouts for all players hoping to make freshman, JV, and varsity teams will be held on February 5 through 10. On February 5, players will meet in the stands of the varsity field at 3:30pm in full baseball attire. Winter sports athletes will be provided tryout opportunities once their winter season is complete.

BOYS’ GOLF

Athletes will meet at the large putting green at the Moraga Country Club, located on the corner of Moraga Way and St. Andrews Drive at 3:30pm from February 5 through 8. Players are expected to adhere to the country club’s dress code and wear slacks or golf shorts and a collared shirt during tryouts. Due to the expected increase in athletes interested in participating as a result of the PE waiver offered to freshmen and sophomores, the team plans to have cuts.

BOYS’ LACROSSE

Tryouts will be held Monday through Wednesday February 5 through 7 on the stadium from 7:00 to 9:00pm.

GIRLS’ LACROSSE

Jess Mucci is taking over as coach for the varsity team. Tryouts for JV and Varsity will be Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, February 6 through 8. While the time has yet to be determined, the tryouts will be located on the lower grass field.

SOFTBALL

For players not currently playing a winter sport, tryouts begin on February 5, and will continue through February 9 from 4:00pm-6:00pm. The list of players that have made it past the 1st week of cuts will be posted on the softball website no later than February 9. The 2nd round of cuts will take place after this posting, and will include players that participated in winter sports. All athletes must tryout in full softball gear.

SWIMMING & DIVING

The first day of practice is open to all students on February 5 at 3:30pm on the deck at the Soda Center. Athletes will be sorted into JV “A,” JV “B,” and varsity teams on the 1st day of practice and will not be getting into the water until the next day, February 6.

BOYS TENNIS

Tryouts for JV and Varsity teams will take place Monday, February 5 through Thursday, February 8. Athletes will meet at 3:15pm on the tennis courts until dusk and are expected to bring their own gear. The team may hold cuts depending on the number of interested participants.

TRACK & FIELD

The track and field season will start on February 5 and is open to all students who wish to dedicate themselves toward personal improvement. Students will meet at 3:20pm at the track. The sport offers a variety of events, including sprints, hurdles, jumps, vault, throws and distance running. There are no cuts in track and field.  The team welcomes all levels of ability and experience.

BOYS’ VOLLEYBALL

There will be 4 days of tryouts from Monday, February 5 through Thursday, February 8. On the 5th and 7th, tryouts will take place from 7:15 to 9:30pm in the multi-use room and big gym. On the 6th, they will be from 6:00-9:00pm in the small gym, and on the 8th, will take place in the multi-use room and big gym from 5:15 to 7:30pm. Extended tryouts will be offered for winter sports athletes.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

Students who wish to participate in any spring sport must fill out and turn in an athletic clearance form signed by a doctor, as well as forms listing emergency contacts and a physical exam form. All forms must be turned in in the Counseling Office. These forms, as well as online registration, can be accessed on the school’s website.