Soccer Advances to Quarter Finals

Mikhail Vasilyev, Staff Writer

Varsity boys’ soccer beat Petaluma, 3-1, on January 15 in the 1st round of the NCS tournament, advancing to play Acalanes in the quarter finals.

According to Evan Harberson, the 1st half against Petaluma was less than riveting sport. “[The 1st half] was some of the most boring soccer I’ve ever watched,” said Harberson. “There was no intensity. They weren’t passing, they weren’t shooting, nothing was going on. And, trust me, I like soccer and I find it very entertaining, but this was on a different level.”

Head coach Shane Carney admitted, “The 1st half was very very bad. The guys were lacking effort and we came out really slow.”

“I don’t really know what was with us. It felt like we were trying, but nothing was happening and we weren’t moving the ball,” sophomore Jose Carra-Hernandez said.

Towards the end of the 1st half, there was a change of pace after a goal was scored by senior Rupert Dusauzay, assisted by senior Matty Ringquist, putting Campolindo in the lead. “We only really picked it up after Rupert scored. At that moment we realized, oh, this is NCS. What are we doing? We gotta give it our all, because if we don’t, then we’re out and the season’s over,” Carra-Hernandez said.

At the start of the 2nd half, Carra-Hernandez sent a powerful shot into the crossbar. It “pumped” up the team, according to Ringquist, and moments later Ringquist scored on a header assisted by junior Seppi Ortman.

“[After the 2nd goal] we got really hyped. We all just wanted to get the win so I think that we all started playing much better from that point,” said Carra-Hernandez.

1 minute after Ringquist’s goal, Dusauzay scored another.

Harberson added, “I don’t know what was going on with the players in the 1st half, but in the 2nd part they came out flying and had so many chances. That some pretty good soccer.”

Petaluma scored in the last 20 seconds of the match, producing a final score of 3-1.

“At the end of the match they played better soccer, controlled the ball, and took care of their chances,” said Carney. He added that the game “wasn’t a bad start to NCS.”