Boys’ Basketball Stomps Rivals

Claire Mueller, Staff Writer

Varsity boys’ basketball crushed Miramonte 47-31 the night of January 13.

“The team played pretty sloppy, but we won and that’s all that matters,” said freshman Carter Mahaney. “I don’t think we executed our offense as well as we should have, but it was a good win overall.”

Although lots of the calls throughout the game were against Campolindo, the Cougars finished with junior Will Cummins gaining 11 points, senior Chris Wright racking up 12 points, and junior Trevin Kroichick scoring 6 points.

“I think we were all hyped up this whole week,” said Kroichick. “We wanted to beat these guys more than any other team. We didn’t shoot the ball that well though, so we’ve got some work to do on offense, but I think we definitely won on the defensive side of things.”

At least 1,ooo fans attended the game, and most stood and screamed out cheers throughout.

At one point, Principal Walker had to hold back an enraged fan after one of the referees called a 5-second violation on senior Tom Caprio in the beginning of the 2nd quarter.

“I thought the guys did a really good job of following the defensive scattering report, and did a really good job defending throughout the game,” said head basketball coach Steven Dyer. “Offensively, though, we didn’t look very good. We got to do a better job of getting better shots, and we had way too many turnovers.”

The Cougars ended the game with 6 turnovers to the Mats’ 5.

Kroichick attributed their win to Dyer’s prior experience coaching the Mats. “We had a good scouting report on these guys, obviously, because Coach used to coach them, and we really stuck to the game plan and focused on what the scattering report told us to do.”

The Cougar’s next game is January 20 at 5:30 at Northgate High School.