Price Earns Harvard Polo Spot

Rachel Szymanki, Staff Writer

A 4-year veteran of Campolindo’s varsity water polo squad, Olivia Price has committed to play for Harvard University.

Price has been playing since 4th grade and initially got into it because her neighbor played water polo. “I started playing because I really like swimming and I’m not very good with land sports, and I don’t really like running,” she said.

Even in her freshman year, she already showed potential. “Even just coming out as a freshman she had a really good work ethic and she was pretty focused. When it came to her determination and confidence in terms of her abilities, she’s had that since day one,” said varsity coach Kim Everist.

Price is now a role model in and out of the pool. According to Everist, Price is a scorer and “makes things happen.” She’s a leader and has always been a good voice who is honest about her opinions.

Prices teammates agree. “When I got on varsity my sophomore year, I was really nervous. Olivia has always been there whenever I’ve had a question. She’s the hardest working person that I know on the team and she always influenced me to give my best effort and never give up,” said junior Lauren Etnyre.

Though Price is excited about going to Harvard she says she’s still going to miss her team. “I’m going to really miss how close all my teammates are and because this year we didn’t get many new players, we are all really close. When I go to Harvard, I won’t really know anyone,” said Price.

Price sent Harvard coaches emails expressing her interest in their program. Then, last April, Price was invited to a junior day, which is where prospective recruits are invited to the college to meet the coaches and tour the facilities. Over the summer, Price and the Harvard coach got to know each other and eventually he invited her to an official visit in September.

Everest said, “Harvard is lucky to have her and they should be very excited she chose them.”

op2