The Dark Ages of Third Quarter

It’s that time of the year again… the days are short and cold, spring break seems years away, and summer has become a distant memory. Third quarter fosters an unmotivating combination of too much work with no end in sight and not enough sunshine to make it all a little easier. The students of Campolindo have been struggling to stay afloat in these overwhelming weeks and at the root of the problem seems to be the clouds that shroud the sky.
Senior Molly Dougherty said, “my productivity depends on if the sun’s out. I just don’t like to get outside and do stuff as much, especially when it’s cold.” Exercising is the number one medicine that every doctor will prescribe to a stressed out student. Nothing solves the overwhelming stress that comes with schoolwork more than getting outside and taking a minute to breathe in the fresh air. This remedy of exercise certainly sounds less appealing when rain is pelting down or wind is freezing off fingers and toes.
Senior Holden Anderson agrees with Dougherty: “[He’s] a lot less motivated because [he] would rather stay inside and be warm rather than go outside when it’s freezing, especially during the soccer season.” Where a student would usually take a study break or simply some much needed relaxation time in the outdoors has now been replaced by staying indoors. Anderson notes that, “when it’s colder outside [he] stays inside and when it’s warmer and nicer I find myself more productive and motivated.” Within the embrace of summer and spring’s warm rays, getting outside comes effortlessly to students. The sunlight found in these seasons encourages students to release some of the tension that has been building since the days first started getting shorter back in November.
Too much of anything becomes a bad thing and that is exactly the case with these cold dark days. Quarter two is filled with a merry spirit that carries students through the days. It is always exciting to bundle up in a warm blanket and shelter from the cold for the first time. The changing leaves of the trees and crunchy piles that fall to the ground offer a welcome change from the pressing heat of the summer and late fall. But now, in quarter three, winter break with all of its festivities is over and all that is left is the short days and dreary weather. Here an explanation is found for the lack of motivation that not only accompanies exercise but also academic performance. Students are finding it harder than ever to focus on their ever growing to-do list without the breezy peace that the warmer months offer.
Senior Katie Feldman remarks on how, “I feel like there’s more work to do than ever and it’s hard to stay motivated because we don’t get many breaks.” Without a lapse in the workload that other quarters create, this penultimate section of the year provides stress that only get’s amplified when rain floods the hallways between classes. Each quarter provides an equally challenging homework pile for students to worry about; however, cold weather and dark skies make what was already challenging that much more difficult.
The shorter days also offer less time where students feel motivated to work on their studies. Dougherty mentions that, “on days where we get out late [she] feels like there’s such a short time when the sun is out” which in turn, “affects [her] motivation because when it gets dark all [she] wants to do is stay in [her] bed where it’s warm.” If the sun shining equates to productivity then it is obvious why daylight savings has been giving students such a hard time.
Felman remembers how, “when [she] did soccer sometimes it was right after school so by the time [she] was finished it was already basically dark and it was really hard to get anything done.” If the sun held off on dipping behind the hills for at least an hour Feldman’s scenario would have been completely different. Every problem that these students are having seem to be stemming from one common factor: there is simply not enough sun.
Although the third quarter has been dragging on for the last two months there is no need to worry, sweatshirts will soon be replaced by sweaters and freezing wind will turn into a pleasant breeze. Spring is just around the corner and before Campolindo knows it, the beloved sun will shine on the cougars again.