Social Media: The Downfall of Sustainable Fashion

When we think about fashion, we think about trends. With poodle skirts in the 50s to neon colors in the 80s, new styles are always coming and going. However, with the increase of social media use, these current fashions are changing far more rapidly than ever before.

The amount of accessible information has escalated dramatically. You open Tiktok (or your social media of choice) and are immediately bombarded with influencers boasting the most recent “must-have” clothing item. And these trends have been cycling through at an alarming pace, earning the name “microtrends.”

We need to focus on buying clothing that will be practical long-term. If not, the effects of this shortened trend cycle will be detrimental to our planet. Society needs to put its foot down and demand action.

There is also a responsibility that comes with being a social media user– to not give in to these trends immediately. Influencers will continue to impact the fashion industry, but it’s in our control to prevent overconsumption. We need to refrain from clicking “add to cart” at every link.

Microtrends are also in motion due to our dependence on other people for advice. According to the 2021 Nielsen Trust in Advertising study, “71% of consumers trust advertising, opinions and product placements from influencers.” So basically, if an influencer declares a trend is over, the trend is over for their audience.

This means that clothing companies are constantly trying to keep up and stay relevant. This is where “fast fashion” comes into play. Big companies pay as little as possible to produce clothing that makes the most profit. They use cheap fabrics such as polyester, nylon and synthetic fabrics. Campolindo environmental club co-president Ella Dunn explained, “Clothing brands that thrive off this constant influx of trends make their clothes out of non-environmentally friendly materials.”

These materials are called “microfibers.” They are essentially made from plastic, which doesn’t ‘biodegrade’ or break down naturally in the environment. These tiny fibers are released into our oceans, which contributes to pollution. According to Vivian Tolajian, the other environmental club co-president, “Fabrics that aren’t biodegradable, like polyester, end up as a form of plastic pollution that is just as detrimental as things like water bottles [and] shopping bags.”

As a society, we need to stop listening to everything influencers say and buying whatever is trendy at the moment. It is imperative that this overconsumption stops as soon as possible. To help stop the problems caused by fast fashion, buy things that will last many years. Shop at brands that have decent quality goods and are environmentally friendly.

Social media is not going away anytime soon. But through a little self control we can focus on being mindful, and buying more sustainable clothing. This way, when your new favorite shirt falls out of style, the earth doesn’t suffer the consequences.