Santa: Christmas’s Greatest Enemy

Lily Qin
Parents shouldn’t lie to their kids about Santa.

Spreading the lie of Santa Claus across the country is a detriment to the true meaning of Christmas, which should be centered around spending time with loved ones rather than eagerly waiting for gifts. He represents the epitome of deceit, capitalistic participation, and shifts the meaning of Christmas to material possession rather than quality time. The way to ensure that Christmas returns to its true wholesome values is to quash the lies of Santa and to focus on enjoying a couple weeks of relaxation and family bonding.

The issue with Santa begins with the concept of forcing people to lie to their kids to preserve the sense of magic and wonder that accompanies the holiday season. Not only does this lead to distrust once children reach the age where they must dispel the myth, it also creates a problematic expectation of receiving gifts. Finding out that Santa is merely a myth has led to the breakdown of trust within family dynamics across the nation. Senior Tyler Ngo noted that “it was difficult to believe anything [his parents] say,” once he found out that they had been lying about Santa for 10 years of his life.
Further, senior Ben Young believes that lying about Santa “takes away from the good done by real folk-tale heroes, such as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.” While Young’s opinion may be an optimistic misrepresentation of these fabricated characters, he makes a reasonable point that Santa detracts focus from the important elements of Christmas. Understanding that the true heroes of Christmas should be family, friends, and relaxation is certainly critical for getting the most out of the holiday experience.
“The biblical origins of Christmas also get lost within the Santa Mayhem,” noted senior Cyril Russell. Christmas was originally intended to keep Abrahamic traditions alive through future generations. With industrial growth and an overall decrease in religiosity in the country, the true meaning of the holiday has been lost. “The character’s popularity grew due to the Coca Cola Corporation’s ad campaign in the 1930s,” he explained. Thus, Santa’s impact, rather than promoting good during the holiday season, has been forcing conformity to the capitalist system to an unusually high degree in an attempt to satisfy the youth’s shallow expectations of material gifts.

Further, the idea that gifts are expected rather than being part of a kind gesture creates a spoiled mentality among the youth and takes away the appreciation that should follow the reception of presents. Parents never follow through with the age-old promise of putting coal in a misbehaving child’s stocking, leading to the belief that they deserve material possessions for merely existing. Such a perception surrounding gift giving certainly should not be promoted. People should give because they want to, not because they have to.

The bottom line is that Santa detracts from what the holiday season should truly represent. When we think of Christmas or the many other winter holidays celebrated across the world, we should remember the origins of the holiday in order to best celebrate them. The entire enjoyment of the holiday shouldn’t revolve around a symbol of deception and the capitalist system. We don’t remember the material gifts we receive, but rather the fun times we spent with loved ones and the relieving feeling of decompression after what is arguably the most stressful part of the school year. Enjoy your time away from academic obligations and appreciate your loved ones who mean the most to you. Remember, nothing lasts forever.