Color Ban Weak Political Correctness

Layla Wright, Staff Writer

Students looking forward to wearing all white clothing at the homecoming game against Miramonte were disappointed. Prompted by complaints that a so called “whiteout” is racist, it has been banned.

A “whiteout” is an innocent way to show school spirit and bring students together. White is a common clothing color, so it is easy for many students to show Campolindo football pride by wearing it.  Nearly everyone has a pair of white pants and plenty of white shirts in their closet.

This ill conceived ruling against the previously popular display of support for Campolindo sports teams will only accomplish one thing: diminish school spirit.

White is one of Campolindo’s 3 official school colors, along with red and blue.  Wearing white to sport events is no different than wearing red or blue. What is truly racist is the attitude of those opposed to whiteouts.

It is only as a result of this opposition that whiteouts have been associated with racism in the first place.

Of course, racism is an issue in America that should be addressed, but policing the color of clothing Campolindo fans wear at football games is not the way to do it.

The administration has offered a compromise: The “red, white and blue-out.”  Beyond the mouthful phrase, it offers 3 color choices, which would diminish the visual impact and literally represent the opposite of unity. It defeats the whole purpose of designating a single color for fans to wear at the game.

The student section is called the “Red C” because they are known for their color-coordinating school spirit. This should not be taken away and replaced with a tricolor mashup that looks like a heterogeneous mess.

“The students should be allowed to make their own decisions. Now the shirts are considered contraband. Football coaches have nothing to do with this,” said varsity head football coach Kevin Macy.

Meanwhile, Miramonte is allowed to do “blackouts,” and Acalanes does, in fact, host “whiteouts.” For a district that incessantly cites the need for continuity when making decisions regarding facilities and curriculum, the AUHSD seems to be hypocritical on this issue.

Racism is a real problem and it deserves attention. The focus on what colors may be worn at football games is only weak lip service rather than genuine action.  The administration would do well to devote their attention elsewhere.