First Winter Rally Brings Campo Spirit

Rally leaders lead the juniors in a Sing-along to Party in the USA.

Campo Leadership started the semester off strong with the first ever winter rally. The rally was held on the first Friday of second semester to get everyone excited. The rally was filled with winter games for the whole school to enjoy.

“[Leadership] have realized that this section of the school year is always a little gloomy and everyone’s down. We thought that it would be a good idea to start the second semester off strong,” said senior Commissioner of Spirit Molly Dougherty.

To begin the rally, a typical intro video played. However, this time the video centered around getting excited about winter, featuring a “Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?” parody and onesies for the rally leaders.

After the opening and roll call, Campo’s soccer teams came out to participate in a relay race. One player started by putting winter clothes over their school clothes, which included snow pants, coats, mittens, boots, and hats. After redressing themselves, they ran across the gym to the second member of their team.

The second task was to pop a balloon on a participant’s lap. Once that task was completed, the third and second team members helped the first remove all the winter clothes. When all the gear was removed, the first member ran across the gym to sit on a blanket that the fourth person would then pull across to finish the race.

Boys varsity soccer started off slow, but took the lead towards the end and won. Freshman Sophia Pettibone, a member of the JV soccer team, competed in the relay. She explained that competing with her teammates was “really fun and a great team bonding experience.”

The next event in the rally was a pie-eating contest. There were four contestants: seniors Owen Fitzmaurice, Piper Lalli, Serge Vyatkin, and sophomore Luke Hansen. Whoever could eat the most of their pie in 90 seconds would win. “My goal was to eat it as fast as possible, but I got cherry cheesecake when I asked for straight-up cherry. The cheesecake was very thick,” said Fitzmaurice. “As soon as I knew I had cherry cheesecake I knew I wasn’t going to win.”

Following this contest, members of the wrestling team competed in matches. First, senior Natalia Kalas and freshman Maya Shu competed. Leadership added a twist, as the contestants wore inflated spherical buffers, causing the players to bounce off each other and fall down. The caution tape set up as a “ring” was knocked over almost immediately. The first match was won by Kalas.

A second match was completed with senior Gavin Juni winning over sophomore Soushians Bahramifar, leading to a final between the winners. For this one, the inflatables were removed so the wrestlers could show off their skills. After a full flip over, Kalas was successful, leaving the audience wowed by her abilities.

Then suddenly the lights were shut off and music began to play. Seniors Aiden Connolly and Ruby Cutler rose from their seats with microphones, to sing a duet of “Love Is An Open Door” from Frozen.

The rally concluded with a karaoke for each grade, finishing with seniors singing “Sweet Caroline”. Eventually, everyone in the gym joined in as all of the students left the gym, successfully getting people excited for the next semester.