Campo’s Promising New Course Additions

Emilia Barck
Campolindo introduces three new courses to offer the next school year, including Human Geography, Stagecraft, and Broadcasting.

Campo’s Promising New Course Additions

Among the wide selection of classes currently offered here at Campo, three new courses are being proposed for the 2024-25 school year.

AP Human Geography

AP Human Geography will be one of the next newest courses to be offered at Campolindo High School, taught by history teacher Lindsay Webb-Peploe and engaging in the topic of how humans interact in different cultures and religions in a geographical aspect of the world.

“There are units on population, migration…economic development, culture, and it touches on why particular religions live in certain areas of the world, and what sort of migrations contribute to that,” Webb-Peploe explained. With previous experience with this course content and her existent teaching capabilities, Webb-Peploe hopes to offer this class to tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders.

When asked about popularity predictions for the course, Webb-Peploe said, “I have no idea, I think we offer so many good courses at Campo that hopefully it’ll attract a lot of people. I think it’s an accessible course though.”

Webb-Peploe is already offering to hold more info sessions on the course for interested students, and is excited about the addition of AP Human Geography to the Campo curriculum.

Stagecraft

Assistant choral teacher Daniel Jones has been working with the tech club since being hired at Campo, covering every performance held in CPAC this year. Currently teaching Treble Chorale, Concert Choir, and Bel Canto, Mr. Jones has announced his role as stagecraft manager in his upcoming class, a new course that will be available to all students beginning next year.

From learning how to run lighting boards, mix sounds in the booth, and film with cameras, the stagecraft course will cover all theater needs as we are lucky to have Jones volunteering to run it. “The tech club right now is doing some really amazing work and the potential within this stagecraft class to expand our knowledge of all theater needs is huge.” Jones hopes to take advantage of the additional hours spent working with the development of an actual class.

The tech club and stagecraft class will remain separate, as students will be provided with additional opportunities within the realm of theater. “We’re just excited for students interested who are in stage craft to learn in a more structured way,” said Jones.

Broadcasting

Broadcasting, an extension of Journalism which offers students a chance to write and create art for The Claw, would take the form of student-run news broadcasts. Junior Harrison Fuller currently runs the The Sports Broadcasting Club which will evolve into the Broadcasting class taught by English Teacher Lauren Henson next year. By adding cameras and microphones to the equation, he aims at producing a “digital” version of The Claw with video and audio.

“My vision is obviously more sports-oriented because it’s coming from a sports broadcasting club. I’m hoping it can become the Campo-ESPN”, he said.

With no prior experience needed for students, Fuller hopes the class can become a space for all Campo Students interested in producing or presenting information relative to the Campo environment.