Seniors Win Inaugural Homecoming Competition

Amanda Young, Editor-in-Chief

While the homecoming week of September 23 featured traditional activities, including themed dress-up days, a Powerpuff tournament, a lunchtime carnival, and a rally, the competition between the 4 grade levels was revamped to inspire more spirit.

Each class earned points based on participation in dress-up days, Powderpuff and dodgeball tournament standings, and mural and hallway designs.

We created a competition as an incentive for students to get involved and be spirited throughout the week,” said ASB President senior Christian Markey, who added that he was particularly happy with participation by underclassmen, as the sophomores beat the juniors, and the freshmen had the most people at hallway decorating.

A lunchtime party that will include food, music, and games were earned by the victorious senior class.

“I think homecoming was really good this year because everyone was very spirited and participated in the games throughout the week,” said sophomore Mia Colombini.

However, like most years, the hallway decorations were quickly destroyed by students. Decorating took place on September 22 from 10am to 4pm. By the morning of September 23, much of the decorations were torn down or otherwise demolished.

“It is always a bummer to see destruction considering how much time Leadership puts into the decorations,” said Markey. 

Senior Emma Rahimi thinks that students tear down the decorations “to be funny,” but added, “I know that Leadership worked really hard on it so I know they were upset.”

Lunchtime activities included a water balloon toss and dodgeball tournament, as well as the annual girls’ Powderpuff tournament, in which the senior class prevailed.

“I decided to do Powderpuff because I did it last year and I thought it was really fun,” said Colombini. “It is competitive but it is also just having fun with friends.”

Friday’s rally featured the now ubiquitous video, competitions between grades, and a dance to Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” performed by the cheerleaders and juniors from the varsity football team.

According to junior football player and class officer Maxwell Weaver, he and his teammates joined the cheer squad in the performance because they had “disrespected Leadership and the cheerleaders by not participating in the cheer during the 1st rally.” He acknowledged that the football players should have been more respectful given that the cheerleaders show up and cheer for him and his teammates at every game of the season.

“It was a fun time and it was good for us to try something new and get out of our comfort zone while supporting our school and the cheerleaders at the rally,” said Weaver. 

Following the rally, Friday’s lunchtime carnival featured Taco Bell, Chick-fil-A, Jamba Juice, and Round Table Pizza available for purchase as fundraisers for the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, respectively.

The week concluded with the homecoming football game against Rancho Cotate, which the Cougars won 34-14.

Spectators participated in a powder toss, which Colombini said was “really fun.”