Pops Concert Features Movie Music

Nicole Kennedy, Staff Writer

All 6 choirs performed in the annual Pops Showcase Concerts, which drew a full house of peers and parents, on January 31 and February 1.

Performing groups included the freshman Women’s and Men’s Chorale and sophomore Women’s Ensemble, as well as Concert Choir, Bel Canto and Chamber Choir.

Each of the musical groups performed different repertoires, including pop songs from ABBA recently featured in the musical Mamma Mia! as well as rock songs by Queen featured in the currently released film Bohemian Rhapsody.

In addition to evening performances, Chamber Choir performed at Los Perales elementary school (LP) and Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School (JM). “It was so fun because we performed at LP and JM, and all the younger kids would get excited they new our songs and sang along,” said sophomore Sam Hansen.

“Pops is my favorite concert, all the songs are really fun to sing,” said Hansen.

Sophomores Katie Stephens and Reily Yuen of the Women’s Ensemble led in-class rehearsals to teach their classmates the choreography.

“I was so excited for this opportunity because I like leadership roles and anything to do with music,” said Stephens, who studies dance at the California Academy of Performing Arts with Yuen.

“A lot of people at first were kind of nervous about having dance moves and singing, but as we continued the steps, the girls got really into it to,” said Yuen.