Vocalists Visit Feeder Schools

Katherine Ly, Editor in Chief

In an effort to encourage future Campolindo students to join the vocal music program, Chamber Choir performed at Camino Pablo Elementary School and Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School on January 26.

According to senior Chamber singer Abe Soane, the songs performed were the same ones sung at the Pops Concert on January 28, including “Sugar” by Maroon 5, “Stressed Out” by 21 Pilots, and “Livin’ On a Prayer” by Bon Jovi.

“I can’t pick favorites, but [“Livin’ On a Prayer”] is my favorite,” said Soane. Soane was also one of the assembly’s soloists for “Sugar.”

“This year we have an incredible group of singers and incredible group of musicians and you have to do that kind of work and so I was really proud of what we’ve accomplished as a group,” Soane added.

“I love performing at the elementary school, especially because the kids get so into it. They’re singing along and they know the song and it’s so much fun and we point the microphones at them and it’s really a lot of fun,” Soane said.

Senior Gabrielle Ortega, who performed in the Chamber showcase for her first time, also enjoyed performing for the younger audiences.

“It’s interesting to watch particularly the elementary school students because they have unbridled enthusiasm,” said Roberts. “They don’t have a filter, and they don’t have to look at each other and decide ‘Is this cool? Is it cool to like this?’ They just like it because they like it. And they sing along and they dance along and they move around. The middle schoolers are much more self conscious, so they’re looking around the room seeing how they ought to act rather than just acting they way they want to act and be excited.”

According to Roberts, his vocalists rotate between 3 elementary schools in addition to performing at the middle school each year. Chamber performed at Los Perales Elementary last year and will perform at Rheem Elementary next year.