Underclass Awards Recognize Year’s Best

Maya Jenn, Staff Writer

The underclassmen awards, held in the library on May 12, recognized the scholastic achievements of 58 freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.

For the past 18 years, science and math teacher Nita Madra has organized the event.

Every year, Madra sends out an email to all teachers to nominate 1 of their students. A student can receive this award for any reason, from an improvement in his or her studies to a outstanding amount of participation in class.

Sophomore Fiona Deane-Grundman, who received the Drama award, said, “It’s an honor to be awarded in a subject that I care about so much. I feel like I put a lot of work into it and it feels good to be awarded for that, and also to know that [Drama teacher Jamie Donohoe has] noticed how passionate I am about the subject.”

“I like the entire event because I get to see the names of the students who are doing really well, so the following years when they show up in my class, I know this is a good student. I get to send the invitations to parents, do the program, and then I get to pick the art piece of whoever the art teacher nominates to put on the program. It’s just a nice low-key event and I think it means a lot to the students when they are recognized by their teachers,” said Madra.

At the end of the ceremony, the Parents Club organized a section in the library where treats were available to the students and parents.

“I got an award for academic excellence in Honors Geometry and I feel unique and appreciated by the faculty of Campolindo,” said freshman Kyle Wu.