Mexican Holiday Honors Ancestors

Madeleine Singh, Staff Writer

Students in Leticia Del Toro’s Spanish classes celebrated el Día de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, which is a national Mexican holiday that honors dead ancestors. Most celebrations took place on Monday, November 2, although the holiday itself was on November 1.

Del Toro offered extra credit to students who chose to make Pan de Los Muertos, or “bread of the dead”.

“My friend, Sarah Westergren, and I chose to make the bread in honor to celebrate this special holiday,” said freshman Bianca Chao. “At first we weren’t really sure how the bread would turn out because it didn’t look very good, but once we were finished, it was delicious!”

“The bread tastes more like a giant scone, like a sweet bread,” Chao added. “I’ll totally do this next year, extra credit or not.”

Though the bread-making did result in some fun festivities, students learned the cultural meaning behind the holiday as well. “I really liked learning about a holiday that isn’t very well-known where we live,” said freshman Tali Braun. “It’s a day to celebrate and honor the dead, but it’s not just grieving. People put so much time and effort to prepare for their dead loved ones who return for one night.”

According to Braun, the Day of the Dead brings people together and reminds them to be grateful for the lives they are given, and to respect and celebrate lives that have been lost. Students also had the opportunity to add items to a class-wide alter honoring deceased loved ones.

Del Toro, Maria Cadenas, and Concha Martinez dressed up in traditional Mexican costumes and skeleton face paint on Monday at school.