Limited Snow Fall Kills Ski Season

Beck Chambers, Staff Writer

The 2017-2018 ski is off to a modest start, with a majority of snow at Squaw Valley and other winter resorts being man-made. Skiers have little to celebrate as weather patterns on the west coast appear to have returned to those which lead to the previous drought.

According to the The Washington Post, 2016-2017 enjoyed the greatest amount of snowfall in years, with the mountains receiving over 751 inches of snow or 63 feet; so far this season mother nature has dropped a paltry 80 inches on the Sierras.

Man-made snow and warm day-time temperatures are bad news for people who want fresh powder because every night the snow refreezes and loses its quality. “The powder over break was just a few inches but compared to last year where there was plenty of deep powder,” said sophomore ski enthusiast Jean-Luc Axelrode.

Poor snow coverage leaves Squaw and other mountains accessible but not very useful for skiing. It is a sharp contrast to the historic precipitation and optimal conditions skiers enjoyed last year. “The snow last year was absolutely incredible,” said sophomore Kellen Clancy.

Small mountain resorts are taking big hits as result of the poor snow, specifically up near Arnold, California, South of Tahoe; Bear Valley has yet to open any terrain, and maintains only one lift.

Still, there is hope that additional snow in January and February could salvage the season. “I don’t think we are going to have as much as last year [but hopefully] with the rains coming up we’ll get more snow,” said Axelrode.