Russia Scandal Impacts Political Clubs, Russian Students

Samuel Ganten, Editor

More than a year after the 2016 Presidential election, Russia still stands accused of interfering. With allegations ranging from voter manipulation to collusion with the Trump campaign, the issue has divided Campolindo students just as it has the nation as a whole.

“I don’t think that Russia colluded with Trump, but I support a special counsel,” said Liberty Society club president Nicholas Klock. “Where’s the evidence? Show me it and I will support impeachment.”

Klock presides over a club dedicated to supporting capitalism and democracy. While he and his club acknowledged that some members of Trump’s campaign appear to have ties with Russia, he dismisses the idea that Russia is involved with the President himself.

“Russia certainly tried to manipulate the election, but they didn’t collude with Trump,” said Klock.

Others on the opposite end of the political spectrum have expressed their disappointment with the President. Melina Asuncion, co-president of the WAC, remains cynical.

“It wouldn’t surprise me,” said Asuncion. “I definitely think that there needs to be an investigation. But there are a lot of other issues that need to be addressed.”

While the debate continues among the student body, those students originally from Russia, or whose families are from Russia, have felt the response to the allegations on a personal level.

“Occasionally, people ask me jokingly if I ‘hacked the election,'” said Russian junior Mikhail Vasiliev. “It doesn’t really get to me and I find it kind of funny.”

Whether taking the issue seriously or not, most students surveyed expressed their desire for a peaceful resolution to the scandal.

“It is a bit uncomfortable knowing that the two countries I love are acting so passive aggressive,” said Russian native Leon Yushin. “I hope that other countries learn to work with Russia rather than harm others.”

“We just have to hope for the best,” said Asuncion.