VD Grams Fund Choir

unknown

Choir students sold “Valentine Grams” on February 7 and 9, and delivered the holiday well wishes in the form of abbreviated performances to campus class rooms on February 13.

On each ticket, students were able to write a note to be delivered with the song, which was performed either by the senior girls or by the full compliment of boys from Chamber Choir. The grams were available for anyone: students, teachers, or other faculty. 1 gram could be purchased for $3, 2 grams for $5, 3 grams for $8, 4 grams for $10, 5 grams for $13, or 6 grams for $15.

The boys sang arrangements of “Your Man” by Josh Turner, “My Girl” by The Temptations, and “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke. The girls sang arrangements of “Every Time We Touch” by Cascada, “Love Me Again” by John Newman, and “Hold it Against Me” by Britney Spears.

The participating choir students practiced and arranged the songs during lunch, and while the sophomores were taking the CASHEE test. According to Olivia Bisel, the grams were entirely student organized. “We do the Valentine Grams all on our own, so we schedule the rehearsals and each person or a pair arranges each Valentine Gram and then we teach it to ourselves,” she said.

Choir teacher Mark Roberts believes that, although some have a hard time being the center of attention when the songs are delivered to them, students find the grams entertaining and fun. “No one is trying to be embarrassed, although it can be embarrassing, but in the moment most people enjoy it,” said Roberts.

“It was awkward, but it was funny too. I didn’t have to go up alone so that made it a lot better,” Sarah Santaguida said, who was serenaded.

According to Roberts, the choir made sure not to go into teacher’s classrooms if they would disrupt or distract the class, but most of the teachers were excited for the grams and participated in the festivities. “Most teachers like it. We are always careful to see if someone has a test going on or if it is going to be an interruption, but we have some teachers who really look forward to it and they, themselves, will order grams for their class, like Mrs. Mayer, who orders one for every period of the day, just to ensure the choir will come to her class,” said Roberts.

Though all of the participating choir students miss a whole day of instruction, Bisel thinks their teachers don’t mind. “I think the teachers understand that it is something the Campo students really look forward to and the teachers enjoy seeing and receiving them. They are also used to us being out of class because, for choir, we have to sing at performances outside of school,” said Bisel.

“I think it is a great opportunity to incorporate Valentines Day into school because, in high school, you don’t really get to do anything for Valentines Day, like you don’t have candy to pass out, so this is a great way to make it special,” Bisel explained.

The Valentine Gram earnings will be added to the choir funds that will provide scholarships for students who need dresses or tuxes and will be used towards the musical and various field trips.

“The Valentine Grams are something I have always had to look forward to and I am having a lot of fun,” said Bisel.