Choir Collaboration Celebrates Peace

Samuel Ganten, Staff Writer

After months of preparation, including collaboration with the DVC Philharmonic Orchestra, DVC Chamber Singers, and the Clayton Valley high school women’s ensemble, the Chamber Choir performed to a full house at Diablo Valley College on December 2.

“I know that we’re all proud, and all really excited to have this opportunity,” said ensemble singer and soprano soloist Jocelyn Purcell. “We definitely had a really good experience.”

Diablo Valley College participants opened the show, performing “Alleluia” and “O Magnum Mysterium,” and “In Terra Pax” which translates to ‘”And peace on earth.”

What made this performance unique for Campolindo singers was the opportunity to be accompanied by a full complement of instrumental musicians.

“It was my first time singing with an orchestra,” said chamber singer Maria Sanderson. “[It’s] not really common for high school choirs to do orchestral concerts with other schools.”

“We originally practiced with just a pianist, and it was really different to actually perform” said Purcell.

The Chamber Choir performed “If Ye Loved Me,” “Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer,” and “Let My Love be Heard.” Clayton Valley HS also performed “Good King Wenceslas” and “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” topping off the Christmas themed section.

“It was hard to get used to the logistics of the stage, but I think it turned out very well,” said choir director Mark Roberts.

While Campolindo has performed with other schools before, this concert was the first collaboration with Diablo Valley College. The theme of the concert was centered on pax, Latin for peace.

“Soprano soloist Jocelyn Purcell did a phenomenal job,” said Roberts. “She played an important and mature role that she worked for by herself.”