Klock Leads Divers to State Meet

Amanda Young, Staff Writer

10 divers from the district’s joint diving team participated in the North Coast Section (NCS) Championships at Las Positas College on May 10.

“All of our NCS divers performed well at the meet. Of the 50 divers competing- boy and girls- 10 were from our program. Of the 16 medals awarded, 5 went to our team, and of the 8 spots in the CIF State Championships, we took 4,” said head coach Will Haynes. “We had a very strong meet.”

Among Campolindo’s competing divers were sophomores Josiah Klock and Hailey Tang, freshman Daniel Zabronsky, and junior Emma Smith.

Klock, who scored 415.45 points to place 4th in the boys’ competition, is among the 4 CLAM (Campolindo, Las Lomas, Acalanes, Miramonte) divers who qualified for the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) State Championships to be held in Clovis on May 19. “I’m excited to go down there and have fun because there’s no pressure for me. It’s my first time [competing at State] and I’m excited for it,” said Klock.

Haynes added, “Just qualifying for States is a huge accomplishment; only 64 divers in the entire state are invited. It is the highest caliber high school diving event to compete in and I am very proud of our 4 qualifiers.”

“I think as a team, Campo did really well,” said Tang.

“I have great hopes for the state competition. I believe all 4 divers have the ability to make cuts to get to the Finals,” added Haynes.

Next season, Tang hopes to improve her consistency and have a clean list of dives. As for the team, “I hope that we can grow,” she said. “This year we got a lot more divers, so hopefully we can get more people on varsity and going to NCS.”