Swimmers Open Spring Season

Daniela Moroz, Staff Writer

The Soda Center crowded with swimmers just after the final bell rang  at the conclusion of 7th period on Friday, march 5.  The athletes were eager to warm up for their 1st meet of the 2016 high school swim season.

Veterans like junior Peter Brassinga, whose primary event is the 100 yard breaststroke, opened their spring campaign with strong performances. “I personally had a really good 100 breast,” said Brassinga. He clocked 59.59 to take 1st place.

Senior Cole Stevens won the 100 meter back stroke impressive time of 51.96. Another event winner, senior Liv Baker’s finished the 200 meter Individual Medley in 2:13.33.

Relay squads, which typically close out the meet, also showed early season prowess. “The guys’ 200 Medley Relay was phenomenal,” said Brassinga. The “A” team was comprised of senior Nicky Erickson, senior Cole Stevens, senior Derek Ludwig, and Brassinga.

Just ahead for the Campolindo “read sea,” the top 5 swimmers in each event will compete in Mission Viejo on March 19. “I’m really excited for Mission Viejo. I’m hoping for everyone to get good mid-season times. It’ll give us an idea to see where we are for NCS,” explained Griffin.

The trip, which takes the select group to Mission Viejo High School in southern California, is a favorite not just because of the opportunity to face off against some of the state’s best swimmers. “It’s another chance to swim well. Plus, we get to go to Disneyland,” Brassinga explained.