Polo Teams Advance to NCS Finals

Daniela Moroz, Staff Writer

Both the girls’ and boys’ varsity water polo teams will play in their respective NCS finals on Saturday, November 14, after winning their semi-final matches.  The girls beat Acalanes in overtime while the boys upset San Ramon Valley in regulation.

Sophomore Sophia Cavalli won the first sprint for the girls. Junior Goalie Rebecca Buck blocked 4 out of 5 attempts by the Dons. Junior Kari Jensen, junior Olivia Price, and sophomore Lauren Etnyre all scored, helping the Cougars build a 1st period lead of 3-1.

The second period began with Acalanes winning the sprint. Though unable to score during this period, Campolindo maintained its lead. Acalanes scored on just one of its 9 shots on goal.

Cavalli won the 3rd sprint and freshman Zoe Crouch scored her first goal of the night. Etnyre scored her 2nd while the Dons scored twice to make the score 5-4.

In the final period, the Cougar offense stalled and it became a defensive battle. Acalanes managed to tie up the score with a goal just inside the final minute of regulation play, sending the game into overtime.

After a scoreless 1st overtime period, the Cougars managed to find the net and advance to the championship.

The boys’ team, battling on the road against the higher seeded San Ramon Valley Wolves, came away with a 7-4 victory.