Consistency Key to XC Success

Dree Ivanoff, Staff Writer

Though some coaching roles were different this year with long-time coach Chuck Woolridge stepping aside to provide primarily administrative support while Andy Lindquist took charge of day-to-day operations at practices, the Cougar cross country team completed a 2nd consecutive sweep of the league titles with impressive performances at Hidden Valley Park on November 7.  In addition, 5 of the 6 individual championships were won by Campolindo athletes, including both varsity crowns.

It is just the 3rd time in DFAL history that a single school has laid claim to all six division championships.  The pervious 2 instances were also accomplished by Campolindo as well.

Varsity boys’ individual DFAL champion Jared Yabu attributed much of the team’s success to consistency.  Very little has changed from last year’s training calendar to this year’s. “Our training has stayed constant under the new coach. We’re still mantaining our same system of phases,” he said.  Lindquist ran practice sessions just as they were last season, meeting immediately after school and conducting workouts on the lower field, the track and on the roads and trails surrounding campus.  He followed the training calendar provided by Woolridge.

One difference was the addition of an alternative training group intended to attract athletes from other sports like soccer and lacrosse. “More people have joined because we have a new sprinting and agility program along with cross country cause there is more people getting involved with conditioning for other sports,” said Yabu.  Those workouts were administered by assistant cross country coach Joey Woolridge, who is also the Cougar’s sprint coach during the track season.

Hana Sun, winner of the varsity girls’ league title, noted that while the training was the same, there was a different feeling at daily practices. “We still have the same training schedule we did last year and the year before. It’s just different not having Chuck out every day, but Andy is a good coach and he’s doing well,” she said.

Lindquist was coached by Woolridge and graduated from the program in 2009.  He went on to the University of California at Berkeley where he earned a degree in rhetoric.  He began helping as an assistant for the cross country team while he was still in school.  In addition, Lindquist completed several certifications for cross country and track through the IAAF and USATF governing bodies.

While the frosh soph and junior varsity seasons are complete, the varsity squads will race again at the North Coast Section meet on November 21.  Each team is favored to win its respective division 3 race and move on the the State Championships.

Yabu and Sun are also currently the top ranked individuals for their division in the section.